[Server-devel] ARM based XS ?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun May 17 07:35:37 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 3:11 AM, rihoward1 at gmail.com <rihoward1 at gmail.com>wrote:

> According to the http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM there is
> Fedora 8 and Fedora 10 port for ARM.  The OpenRD comes with Fedora 8.
> I mentioned this at the OLPC-SF meeting this morning and we are adding it
> to our projects list.  I have 1 or 2 people at the meeting volunteer to help
> me with  this.  As a result of the positive responses I am going to order
> the ARM machine to experiment with.  I am not sure when the hardware will
> actually ship once I place the order.  A shipping delay will give me time to
> read some of the documentation on building Fedora for ARM.

Excellent news -- keep us posted on server-devel. If after some testing you
think it's viable, I'll get one of those boards too.

> What size hard drive do you recommend for the XS?

Right now the base install takes ~ 500MB. For a deployment machine,  the
recommendation is that you budget for

 - 4GB for OS + data
 - 2GB x user

for a development machine / testing, at least 4GB is important so you can
rebuild kernels, etc.

martin.langhoff at gmail.com