[Server-devel] XS Help, please

Tim Moody timmoody at sympatico.ca
Sat May 16 11:55:03 EDT 2009

Hi Gerald,

To expand a bit on what Martin wrote, the XS sits between the XOs and the
world (rest of the network).  You haven't said how the XS and AP connect to
each other, but I'm assuming it is via ethernet, that is the AP is not
directly attached via USB.  If that is the case the XS needs two ethernet
cards, one for the AP and XOs, and another for the world.  In all likelihood
these would attach to different VLANs.

I have fiddled with manually configuring ethernet on the XS and have wasted
a lot of time.  If I were in your situation, I would simply reinstall the
latest version of XS, especially since it is suited to your architecture and
you probably don't have anything at this point that you need to preserve.

Ask your network guy for a static IP address and addresses of the DNS server
and gateway for the world.  During the install use these values to set up
eth0.  Attach this ethernet port to the VLAN that includes external access
(not the XOs and AP).

XS install will set up eth1 with the proper IP address along with DHCP, DNS,
Gateway for the XOs.  Attach this ethernet port to the special VLAN created
for XOs and attach the AP to the same VLAN.  If the AP has a static IP
address it needs to be in the subnet of eth1 and not in the range of DHCP
address supplied by the XS, though letting the AP get its IP address via
DHCP from the XS may also work.  Eth1 addresses will probably start 172.18.
It is also possible that what you think are eth0 and eth1 are reversed by
the install and there is a command to switch them, but a little
experimenting will also reveal what's what.

My guess is that you had the XOs in the same VLAN as the XS's external port
before, which is why ping worked, but nothing else.

Hope this helps,

Tim

> Message: 8
> Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 06:10:07 -0400
> From: Gerald Ardito <gmanb5 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Server-devel] XS Help, please
> To: Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>
> Cc: Server-devel at lists.laptop.org
>
> Martin,
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> I am running version 0.5.2 (the latest stable version).
>
> The network looks like this:
> XOs connect to an AP
> AP points to server box
> Server box connected to VLAN
>
> The problems I am having:
> 1) I was told by my network guy to set the box for a static IP address and
> default gateway. I do this via ifconfig, but when I reboot, it is gone.
> 2) I was told by my network guy to configure DHCP for a bunch of
> parameters
> (subnet mask, IP range). I have references about dhcpd.conf but I was
> worried it was created by one of the olpc-scripts.
> 3) So, since the server is not set properly, the XOs can't connect to that
> newly created wireless network.
>
> The old problems I was having:
> 1) When we were all on the school's regular network, the XOs could ping
> the
> server and vice versa. But the "Register" function didn't work. I don't
> know
> if this is still a problem because I can't get the new chunk of things to
> work.
>
> Does this give you what you need?
> Is it possible to Skype sometime? My Skype username is gmanb5.
>
> Thanks.
> Gerald
> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 5:45 AM, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hello Gerald,
>>
>> It'd be useful to hear more about
>>
>>  - what XS version
>>  - network topology
>>  - what exact problems you are having
>>
>> it's hard to provide advise.
>>
>> I'll try however. In general, you should not change the dhcpd
>> configuration
>> on the XS. Give the XS 2 NICs, and let it run its own subnet.
>>
>> hope that helps - but do give us some more info!
>>

>> martin
>>
>> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 10:50 PM, Gerald Ardito <gmanb5 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I need some help. I have been trying to get my XS Server running for
>>> some
>>> months now with little success.
>>>
>>> Recently, in order to alleviate some problems, our school's network guy
>>> established a new VLAN only for the XOs.
>>>
>>> The VLAN points to my server box as the DHCP server.
>>>
>>> Here's what I think I need to do:
>>> 1. Edit the DHCP config file for: 1) IP address; 2) subnet mask; 3) and
>>> IP
>>> range
>>> 2. Edit the resolv.config file to point our schoolserver to the IP
>>> address
>>> set above
>>> 3. Start the dhcpd service.
>>>
>>> Here are my questions:
>>> 1) is that right?
>>> 2) is there anything else I need to do to configure the DNS and DHCP