[Server-devel] RIT XS Teacher Reporting Project (Math4RIT)

Jeremiah Green jrgreen118 at gmail.com
Sat May 2 20:45:20 EDT 2009

Hello All,

Currently at RIT we are working on a project in which we hope to utilize
modified Moodle modules and a customized XS School Server operating system.
Our goal is to allow results, or grades, from student activities to be
readily available to teachers. Based on their wants and needs, the teachers
can then generate custom reports on a class or student and have the ability
to determine what types of problems students are finding most difficult. In
the end we imagine the XS environment running on an XO itself, allowing the
teachers the same portability as the students. Our wiki page can be found
here: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Teacher_Reporting . It's a work in
progress, so things aren't as neat or complete as it will be in the future.

We've really only just started working with the school server environment
and initially our development is using virtual machines, by way of Virtual
Box software. Thus far using online documentation and previous Fedora
knowledge, we've been able to install the XS operating system, install
MySQL, install PHP, with alot of tweaking got Gnome installed and running,
and installed Moodle. We modified the built in websever to use the moddle
directories as default, but were unable to ever load the index.php page. Any
suggestions on something we may have missed on the webserver end?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions based on the information I provided
above for any further resources please feel free to send them to us.
Currently we concentrating on getting Moodle up and running and figuring out
how the modules store things in the database. Any help or suggestions would
be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jeremiah Green

RIT OLPC Development
Teacher Reporting Project