[Server-devel] Is a USB-Ethernet NIC appropriate for the XS?

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Mon Mar 23 23:49:04 EDT 2009

The ever helpful cjb and Mitch_Bradley directed me to the root of the
problem, the USB-ethernet devices I am using are USB 1.1 which has
horrible throughput. A USB-ethernet device that supports USB 2.0 should
fix the problem.

<BryanWB> Mitch_Bradley: great, do u think I can buy a usb2 ethernet nic
for under $50? budget is tight and I need these for 15 XS's
<Mitch_Bradley> AX8817X and AX88772 are the chips
<BryanWB> Mitch_Bradley: thanks
<Mitch_Bradley>
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=589
<BryanWB> Mitch_Bradley: is there any reason that USB-Ethernet is
inherently unworkable or is it just a question of getting the right
usb-ethernet nic?
<Mitch_Bradley> USB 1.1 sucks rocks for ethernet because the polling for
rx packets kills the throughput
<cjb> BryanWB: no, the others are usb2
<cjb> what Mitch_Bradley said
<BryanWB> Mitch_Bradley: so usb1.1 will totally crap out w/ 20 users ?
<Mitch_Bradley> USB2.0 has much improved bandwidth and much lower
latency for polling
 usb1.1 will totally crap out with 1 user
<BryanWB> Mitch_Bradley: thanks a lot guys, you are saving my bacon
<cjb> BryanWB: the number of users won't affect it, other than by
sucking proportional to load
<Mitch_Bradley> I didn't even bother supporting USB 1.1 ethernet chips
in OFW.  It's just not worth it.
<cjb> anyway, yeah.  just find an asix dongle.
<Mitch_Bradley> try to buy a name brand device.  The no-name ones often
just don't work.

--
Bryan W. Berry
Technology Director