[Server-devel] mkusbinstall link broken?

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Sun Mar 22 15:27:52 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 18:02 +0000, Sameer Verma wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 7:37 AM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:
> >
> > The OLPC web-based git interface was changed, due to security
> > holes in the previous one.   Unfortunately, links into it still haven't
> > been changed.
> >
> > On Mar 20, 2009, at 1:17 AM, Sameer Verma wrote:
> >

> >> http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=projects/xs-livecd;a=blob;f=util/mkusbinstall;hb=HEAD
> >
> > Git it in raw form at:
> > http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/xs-livecd/plain/util/mkusbinstall
> > or formatted at:
> > http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/xs-livecd/tree/util/mkusbinstall
> >
> >> on
> >> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Installing_Software#Optional:_Using_a_USB_key.2Fdisk_for_installation
> >> leads to a blank page.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > wad
> >
> >> Suggestions?
> >>
> >> Sameer
> >> --
> >> Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
> >> Associate Professor of Information Systems
> >> San Francisco State University
> >> San Francisco CA 94132 USA
> >> http://verma.sfsu.edu/
> >> http://opensource.sfsu.edu/
> >

> Thanks!
>
> I tried the mkusbinstall script. It works. Installing from USB is
> another matter. It chokes initially when looking for ks.cfg as the
> install documentation suggests. The LABEL of the USB stick somehow
> doesn't get read. So, I have to type in the location (/dev/sdb1) in my
> case. Further down in the instllation right after formatting the
> filesystems, it chokes again, looking for the ISO path (same path
> problem) but this time, I have no way to change it and point it to
> /dev/sdb1. I can only Abort.
>
> Any suggestions? Can I pass any parameters at boot time to make the LABEL stick?

Yea, at the boot prompt remove the "method= part, you will have to
manually select the hard-drive install method, once in anaconda. If you
want to have an auto select install, then the patches I posted links to
previously for anaconda would need to be implemented.

Just wondering what are you installing the XS onto, an XO?

Jerry