[Server-devel] Fwd: Anaconda does not clear /var/lock/subsys - service $svc condrestart start services

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 15:45:47 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 4:04 AM, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Would the right place to clear (or complain about!) /var/lock/subsys
>> would be upgrade.py: upgradeMountFilesystems()?
>
> We definitely tend to expect that you've shut down cleanly and there are
> a few other things that could trip up if you haven't.  But that's where

In earlier times, when ext2 ruled the roost, an unclean shutdown would
have prevented an anaconda upgrade, just because the fs was dirty and
anaconda checks for that.

In these days of ext3 with automatic and fast journal recovery that
(if trivial) happens transparently on mount... well, other "unclean
shutdown" conditions turn up. Like this one, I gues...

> we'd want it.  And if you want to throw together a patch, I'm all for
> applying it.  Just a heads-up that there may be other dragons lurking :)

Will try to craft one to check and complain about dirty
/var/lock/subsys -- taking it as a hint that other dragons may be
about...

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com