[Server-devel] notes on scaling ejabberd for the XO's

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 04:27:04 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 00:30, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> 2009/3/15 Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>:
>> "Client" code for Gadget seems to be integrated in the Telepathy new
>> Sugar present on the SoaS images. The server side -- the proper gadget
>> code -- isn't on any XS, and I haven't seen or tested it (lack of time
>> :-( )
>>
>> Even if I had, it's a ton of new code, a lot more adventurous than
>> what we're doing w moodle. So short/midterm, following ejabberd+moodle
>> is lower risk from the perspective of a deployment today.
>
> One thing I still don't understand about gadget... how does it
> actually solve the problem? I'm assuming the problem it solves is lack
> of partitioning, and the fact that the neighborhood view becomes kind
> of impossible after 50 users, etc. Right?
>
> So what does gadget do? Is there a new client side UI for electing
> groups? Who chooses, the kids or the teachers? etc.

Gadget:
* Shows people you have explicitly friended (which is trivial, that's
just a conventional non-shared roster)
* Shows you some random people on the server so you can bootstrap your friends
* Has a search API so you can search for specific nicks (I don't know
if this is implemented client-side yet.)

The people you need to talk to about it are Dafydd Harries and
Guillaume Desmottes at Collabora. I don't know if they're still on
this list, but you can reach them through on the sugar-devel list.

Regards
Morgan