[Server-devel] Serving 400+ students w/ a single central XS - ejabberd nightmare?

Marten Vijn info at martenvijn.nl
Tue Mar 10 07:19:47 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 15:57 +0545, Bryan Berry wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 21:51 -0700, Sameer Verma wrote:

> > > We will have roughly 8+ AP's. We have found that off-the-shelf AP's can
> > > handle around 60-70 users.  But that doesn't still doesn't solve the
> > > problem of the XO's getting bogged down by tons of ejabberd chatter.
> > >
> > > DSD: do you have any ideas about this?

about infra;

Last year we had about 500 devices in the network on 5 ap's using
atheros card and soekris/wrap boards in ApacheCon 2008.

In a couple of of weeks I do it again with some friends. Details you can
read on
http://bsd.wifisoft.org/nek

raw out lines of our course are in moodle
http://wifisoft.org/moodle (log as guest)

and tech details are in svn
http://bsd.wifisoft.org/svn/projects/nek

cheatlists and standards we use:
http://bsd.wifisoft.org/svn/projects/nek/doc/

I was curious if someone tested in BULLET2 in heavy traffic,
if it is stable it migth be someting.
http://www.roc-noc.com/product.php?productid=164
It should capable to run openwrt, but i don't know it is stable enough.
But it would allow good monitoring and tuning.

As soon as if a change/time I'll test these. But if you pls let me
know.

kind regards,
Marten

--