[Server-devel] Serving 400+ students w/ a single central XS - ejabberd nightmare?

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Tue Mar 10 00:51:43 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Bryan Berry <bryan at olenepal.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 09:58 +1300, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:11 AM, Bryan Berry <bryan at olenepal.org> wrote:
>> > I am worried about the XO's and not the XS.
>>
>> Now you're starting to see what I've seen :-/ I also worry about your
>> APs and networking infra -- to support 400 active users you'll want at
>> least 8 APs. In more realistic terms, you'll probably need 12,
>> assuming a reasonably balanced load.
>
> We will have roughly 8+ AP's. We have found that off-the-shelf AP's can
> handle around 60-70 users.  But that doesn't still doesn't solve the
> problem of the XO's getting bogged down by tons of ejabberd chatter.
>
> DSD: do you have any ideas about this?
>
> We are looking at about 100-150 students per school and connecting 3-4
> schools to a central XS.
>
>> As I mentioned before... I am working on xs-0.6, with the
>> moodle-ejabberd magic.
>
> That's great, but our pilot starts in a month but that doesn't fit our
> timeline. I don't want to send out a completely new, untested XS into
> rural parts of Nepal.
>
> Do you have any other suggestions fo us?

What if you had a small footprint box (like a soekris or routerboard)
at the school that talks to APs on one end via a switch, and does
tunneling back to XS in a central location? That way you would have a
fairly dumb tunnel unit at school (literally plug-and-play) and XS
management back at your central shop.

Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.