[Server-devel] Apache proxy CRCsync

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 16:50:41 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Alex Wulms <alex.wulms at scarlet.be> wrote:
> Another point is that I'm trying to see the bigger picture in this project. Is
> the idea that eventually the schoolserver will work as a proxy for the
> laptops, to accelerate access to (educational) websites on the internet? E.g.
> that eventually the websites will support the encoding and the forward proxy
> on the schoolserver takes care of the caching and decoding?

Schools have usually very limited (and high latency) connections to
the internet. The idea is to run it on the School Server (aka XS) and
on a server at the ISP. This means that the use of the very limited
connection is much more efficient.

> Or is the idea that the browser on the laptops will eventually support this
> delta-protocol

If this protocol extension gets traction, I'd love to see it on
firefox. It depends, however, on a large local cache -- the XS is more
likely to have a large local cache, shared among many users. On the
laptops the payoff exists but is much smaller.

For now my immediate goals are reasonably modest -- run it on the XS
and on a well-connected server at the ISP.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com