[Server-devel] Serving 400+ students w/ a single central XS - ejabberd nightmare?

Dev Mohanty devm at nepalwireless.net
Sun Mar 8 07:46:08 EDT 2009

Bryan I assume, this is in reference with the deployment planned at the
new schools, and guess am more then familiar with admin workload and
power limitations you
happen to mention in Nepal.

Hence was wondering if you've looked into the option of using more then one
XS, installed at the same location (eg DOE, OLE) if not at the
schools, this might make it a lot easier to administer. One XS could cater
to students in 3 schools while the other could register students/XOs from
the other two schools, for load balancing.. As am not too sure that using
additional RAM would get the desired results. And
ofcourse there's the 4GB RAM limitations on a 32bit processor, unless you
plan to use a PAE switch and tweak the kernel too and guess
that would be getting into murky waters.

Besides, as Martin pointed out using a 64bit processor would
require the XS iso to be completely
rebuilt, which might take a while forthcoming. Though, I've heard that
AMD's Athlon processors are backward
compatible with 32bit applications and permit use of more then 4GB RAM
without PAE, guess food for thought if you're adamant on using just one XS
for all the schools to reduce the overhead.

But still believe getting ejabberd to
perform with 400 simultaneous users, might still be a tough task.

Cheers,
Dev