[Server-devel] backup server

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 04:15:11 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Rodolfo D. Arce S.
<rodolfoarce at eyuhoo.com>wrote:

> What should be backed up for a reintallation of the server? Or better
> yet, what would be the steps for backup and restore of the XS?

Good question!

In general, I would say that you want to backup

 - /library
 - /home/idmgr
 - /var/lib/moodle

But I haven't reviewed it thoroughly, so there may be some stray bits
landing elsewhere.  I will be happy to merge patches that move all those
things to /library :-)

One thing is tricky though: the mapping of the users described in the idmgr
DB to UIDs. Right now it is only in /etc/passwd so you are right, it should
be backed up. On restore, you will want to "restore" only part of the passwd
file to the restored system though.

To make this work better, the idmrg scripts should be updated to
 - put the uid of the user somewhere in the DB when the user is created
 - have a 'rebuild' script that re-creates the proper OS user accts based on
the user/uid mapping (with due care to avoid priv escalation tricks!)

Do you think you could file a task in trac for for this, so I remember?
Actually, 2: one for idmgr, one for moodle.

martin.langhoff at gmail.com