[Server-devel] Server configuration

Grape Projects IT info at grapeprojects.com
Mon Jun 1 06:35:48 EDT 2009

Hi Martin,

I have never setup a static address before and therefore have never had
this issue before. Below is the step-by-step configuration that I followed
and I am having a problem with the DNS as the XO's do not connect to the
Internet

I downloaded the XS 0.5.2 image and followed the instructions
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Installing_Software.

1.I initially ran the script /etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts/domainconfig
katane.org with katane.org being the hostname

2.I also changed the HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain to
HOSTNAME=schoolserver.katane.org

Our internet has a static IP address therefore I copied
/usr/share/doc/xs-config-*/ifcfg-eth0-local.example to
/etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts/ifcfg-eth0-local and edited the file
with the following:

IPADDR=10.50.211.15
IPV6ADDR=no
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=10.50.211.0
BROADCAST=10.50.211.255
GATEWAY=10.50.211.5

I also edited the /etc/resolv.conf to resolve the DNS nameserver as follows:

search katane.org
nameservers 10.50.211.5

3. Restarted the machine

4. I then started the ejabberd service at runlevels 345
5. Restarted the machine " shutdown -r now"

6. After reboot I pinged www.google.com and I got reply packets which
meant that I had connection to the internet

7. now the problem is that when I check the ejabberd status "ejabberdctl
status" I get an error RPC failed on the node ejabberd at schoolserver:
nodedown

so I went back to my /etc/resolv.conf file and edited the nameserver back
to 172.18.0.1 and restarted ejabberd and this executed with no errors. But
now the server does not resolve the DNS addresses cause when I ping
www.google.com I get the error unknown host www.google.com

8.Another thing is that the XO does not connect to the internet under all
scenarios but it connects to the schoolserver as I get to the "who are
you?" page

Now what do I need to do to make this work as I am using Active Antenna to
connect the XO's to the Server

Regards

Neo Masilo