[Server-devel] XS automount design

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 10:38:48 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 8:31 AM, Daniel Drake<dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> It seems a little strange to me that the XS scripts that process files
> on USB sticks do not unmount the disk after use. In fact they don't
> even mount the disk in read-only mode.
>
> Do we encourage users to login as root and unmount the disk before
> unplug, or are we actually encouraging users that unmount is not
> necessary?

No, we encourage them to wait for the "done" bells. Let me explain.

 - we don't have any scripts that write, but we will likely do, so
mounting ro is not a good idea

 - we're either mounting sync or with the "not-so-lazy async" that was
introduced a few kernels ago, so the sync is not delayed

Are you getting the "I'm done" bells properly?

I don't know if usbmount is sane in the face of triggering the unmount
from the mount-post-processing scripts.

hth,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com