[Server-devel] XS backup/restore feature

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Thu Jul 30 02:01:36 EDT 2009

2009/7/30 Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>:
> Where do you want to back it up to? I really like the idea of having a
> "standard" single file backup that we can use over various modes of
> storage (as your patch implements), but some storage "backends" would
> be better served with an rsync-friendly format (and tgz ain't).

We're in danger of producing a horribly complicated system. An
uncompressed tar would be suitable, right? Or what do you suggest?

In Nepal we are looking to do occasional backups to USB disk.

> Initially I thought that the UID/user mapping would have to be saved
> and restored, but tar defaults to username rather than numberic
> uid/gid.

Yes.

> You _will_ want to restore the ACLs in the backup (they're trivial,
> don't bother to save them). They are set in the script we trigger
> post-backup-completion.

for i in /library/users/*; do
  setfacl -m u:apache:rx $i
  find $i/datastore-* -type f | xargs -n100 --no-run-if-empty setfactl
-m u:apache:r
  find $i/datastore-* -type d | xargs -n100 --no-run-if-empty setfactl
-m u:apache:rx
done

like that?

It may be more sensible just to add "--acls" to the "tar -c" command...

Daniel