[Server-devel] Fwd: Simple Digital Library Index System

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 21:54:56 EDT 2009

This sounds interesting. It is something I was hoping to implement
somehow, using IMS-CP (or similar) plus a repository scheme copied
from the Debian "apt" repository format, or the yum repo format.

Both repo formats are fantastic for this, very rsync, http and cache
friendly, super-scalable and distributable, etc.

The plan was (is?) to use the upcoming Moodle v2 "repository plugins"
infra to build client and server sides, but with the "protocol" being
just a trivial-looking repo format, any existing system can be a
"server". Unfortunately Moodle v2 will take a long time to be ready.

(I've reviewed GreenStone in the past, and worked with Fedora - the
_other_ one - , eprints and a few other ones. I was not impressed with
any of them.)

Not sure how this project is designed and implemented. If it does
something like the above, fantastic. It'd mean that the software
maintains the repo (which is served by bare apache), but does not need
to be running permanently. The resident memory footprint of Java is a
bit of a no-no for the XS.

In any case, it might need client code for the Moodle side so that the
content is easy to integrate into the "topic of the day" and learning
narratives...