[Server-devel] registration questions

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Fri Jul 24 03:34:56 EDT 2009

2009/7/24 Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Daniel Drake<dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
>> Is registration a requirement for accessing jabber on the XS? How
>> about for backups?
>
> Yes for both.
>
>  - For Jabber, it's client-controlled: Sugar won't try
> Telepathy-Gabble unless it sees that the jabber server is configured,
> and this config value is set by registration.
>
>  - For backups, it's server-controlled: XS will only create your user
> acct with your ssh pubkey once you register.
>
>> I am looking into automating registration of the XOs, to occur as soon
>> as a network connection is established. However this is difficult as
>> there is no asynchronous python xmlrpclib that I can find, other than
>> twisted (too big for my liking).
>
> Auto-reg would be a good idea - at least for some deployments.
>
> How about doing it with a small, standalone python script that
> triggers on successful connect to a network? You don't need to run
> from within the Sugar process.

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, it sounds like the following might work?

 - disable/delete all Registration functionality in sugar
 - hardcode jabber server as "schoolserver" in Sugar
 - move code from shell.hardware.schoolserver into a new app,
/usr/bin/register-with-xs (minus the bit that modifies sugar's
profile)
 - run register-with-xs from a NM dispatcher.d hook

Can you see any obvious issues with that idea? Either as a simple
deployment-specific hack, or maybe even suitable for upstream
XO/sugar?

It would also be safe and not too resource intensive for
register-to-xs to unconditionally attempt a registration, even if it
was registered before, right? That would solve a long standing issue
where registration with a 2nd school server is a pain.

Thanks,
Daniel