[Server-devel] pppd restarting mysteriously

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 03:04:35 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Joshua N Pritikin<jpritikin at pobox.com> wrote:
> No need. The solution is to MASQ ppp0 instead of eth0. It works fine now.

Excellent news!

> The question is, what to change in /etc to make the change permanent?

OLPCCorps people were asking similar questions couple days ago -- CC'd
(guys, check the list archive for teh earlier part of this thread,
good stuff from Joshua on making this work).

Joshua, I think we need to change how we load the iptables script, so
it changes "on the fly" when we load it, based on

 - Which network device is "WAN", maybe stored in
/etc/sysconfig/xs_wan_device (in your case, ppp0)

 - Whether we're running Squid (or other http proxy) - we'll want a
reliable check for that, we may be able to just check  (IIRC)
/var/lock/subsys/squid if squid starts before iptables, or whether a
squid symlink exists in the relevant rcX.d directory.

An /etc/sysconfig/iptables that calls a bash (best) or python (2nd
best) script to sort these variables out and create the right rules
would be the right fix I think.

What do you think?

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com