[Server-devel] pppd restarting mysteriously

Joshua N Pritikin jpritikin at pobox.com
Fri Jul 24 01:17:14 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 11:32:37AM +1000, James Cameron wrote:
> The symptom is that your pppd receives an LCP Configuration Request from
> the modem that attempts to begin authentication all over again.  pppd
> handles this (correctly) by shutting down the link.
>
> My analysis of this when I was observing the problem was that it was
> caused by packets being sent with source IP addresses that the service
> provider's network did not like.  It might take up to 30 seconds between
> the offending packet and the disconnection.

I feel really dumb:

# iptables -t nat -v -L

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 341 packets, 24402 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
    0     0 MASQUERADE  all  --  any    eth0    anywhere             anywhere

Where do I change the iptables rule?

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE