[Server-devel] Access Point configuration

Joshua N Pritikin jpritikin at pobox.com
Thu Jul 23 07:23:00 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 12:48:07PM +0200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Joshua N Pritikin<jpritikin at pobox.com> wrote:
> > 2. To not run a DHCP Server means that I should turn off DHCP
> > completely? I only see options for DHCP Server and DHCP Forwarding. I
> > assume I want DHCP Forwarding? Should I turn off DNSMasq?
>
>  - yes, turn off DHCP server (DNSmasq)

Done.

>  - I think that you want DHCP forwarding, never heard of it before. We
> definitely do _not_ want the AP to block the DHCP leases that the XS
> offers :-)

Yah, I left it on. Not sure what it's doing.

> > The XS wants to issue DHCP assignments through the router, right?
>
> Yes. And see a "flat" space. It network terms, you want it to stop
> behaving like a router, and be a _bridge_ instead.
>
> I don't know much about DD-WRT unfortunately. Mayb Marten knows how to
> get it to be a bridge?

OK, I've done this before. It's coming back. In DD-WRT, I switched the
router from "Gateway" into "Router" mode. The other key change is moving
all the interfaces to the same VLAN. That seems to have done the trick.

Shall I add some notes on the wiki? I'm bound to forget and ask you the
same questions next year.

> Once you get it to be a bridge, packages will just be copied
> ("bridged") over, instead of routed, and this will be a non-issue. The
> DD-WRT device may still want an address (self configured or via DHCP)
> but packets from wireless will appear as coming from the XO IP addr.

Right, OK.