[Server-devel] Access Point configuration

Marten Vijn info at martenvijn.nl
Thu Jul 23 06:38:27 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 15:44 +0530, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> I had my first experience of bricking a wireless router today.
> Fortunately, I had a backup router on hand.
>
> The steps listed in "AP Configuration" seem incomplete.
>
> Today I flashed my secondary WRT54GL with DD-WRT and loaded factory
> defaults.
>
> "Make sure that the access point is NOT running as a DHCP server and
> it's not running NAT"
>
> 1. DD-WRT does not have NAT enabled. That's easy.
>
> 2. To not run a DHCP Server means that I should turn off DHCP
> completely? I only see options for DHCP Server and DHCP Forwarding. I
> assume I want DHCP Forwarding? Should I turn off DNSMasq?
>
> Also, would be wrong to turn off DHCP for the WAN link? (I think that's
> how I bricked my router.)
>
> The XS wants to issue DHCP assignments through the router, right? Do I
> need to change the router operating mode from Gateway to Router (DD-WRT
> Advanced Routing / Operating Mode)?
>
> Currently, my router gets assigned WAN IP 172.18.96.24, which looks
> correct. However, the schoolserver log shows:
>
> DHCPDISCOVER from 00:1e:c9:04:9a:b0 via 192.168.1.1: unknown network
> segment
>
> 00:1e:c9:04:9a:b0 is my laptop's Ethernet MAC address. I get an
> analogous result if I try to connect via wireless. I presume the
> schoolserver is expecting DHCPDISCOVER via the router's WAN IP? How can
> I accomplish this? The Linksys routing table is:
>
> 192.168.1.0	255.255.255.0	0.0.0.0	LAN & WLAN
> 172.18.96.0	255.255.224.0	0.0.0.0	WAN
> 169.254.0.0	255.255.0.0	0.0.0.0	LAN & WLAN
> 0.0.0.0	        0.0.0.0	        172.18.96.1	WAN
>
> Do I want to statically assign the router to 172.18.96.24? (Probably
> not.)
>
> Suggestions welcome. Thanks for your help.

You can de-brick with soldering a tll to serial converter on the board
on of the linksys. Then you can have a serial line to bios/dd-wrt.
In the bios you can enable tftp to reflash the linksys over network.
The are clear recovery howto's on wrt's website.

I think you the ap to do bridge-mode. If so the only reason for an ip
config on the box would be administration and monitoring. Then I would
add an ip address to the ap.

Since the schoolserver does dhcpd+nat you don't want to do it in the ap.

tcpdump may give you usefull information about what is happening on your
network.

2ct
Marten

--