[Server-devel] [Sugar-devel] GPA XS Report

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 22:20:12 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 9:46 AM, Anurag Goel<agoel23 at gmail.com> wrote:
> We booted several computers with SoaS and changed the
> network settings from the default (jabber.sugarlabs.org) to the IP address
> on the XS. After doing this, the computers in the computer lab still would

That is a workaround to the missing "register" button in SoaS, right?

I suspect that part of the problem is that you are using the IP
address. Sugar will see whatever DNS or IP addr you provide there and
will try to connect to jabber and create an account as follows:

 - <machine-id>@<jabberservername>

On XO hardware, machine-id is the serialnumber. On other hw, it
creates a random string on first boot.

The problem with the scheme is that jabber on the XS expects a very
specific jabber servername for the account: its own name (as given to
domain_config) prefixed with 'schoolserver.'

If the name doesn't match that format, then it breaks.

The workaround is to use "schoolserver.<mydomain>" in the SoaS control
panel. A more proper solution is probably to bring back 'registration'
:-)

hth,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com