[Server-devel] Gadget on XS

Dave Bauer dave.bauer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 18:48:18 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 5:00 AM, Walter Bender<walter.bender at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > We plan to set up a server tomorrow at the Gardner School. Can you point
> > those instructions you followed to your success?
>
> The question is, IMO: what does gadget do better? The best I
> understand is that when there are many XOs it can show a random subset
> in your network view. That is all that is _implemented_ at the moment.
> It may show promise but what we have is this.
>
> And I don't find "a random subset" very compelling. The patches I've
> done for ejabberd + moodle make a lot more sense, IMHO. And scale a
> ton more because Moodle feeds a bit of data to ejabberd and gets the
> hell out of the way. It's not clear to me how ejabberd+Gadget
> (erlang+python) scale in terms of memory, resource contention and CPU.
>
> Frankly, I'd love to get rid of my ejabberd patches. Right now, I'm
> doubtful that Gadget will satisfy the Sugar team's expectations.
>
> Unless Gadget has moved forward considerable in the last 3 months, or
> if it's generally just more advanced than I think it is.

It is my understanding it somehow uses less network resources, but I don't
have that much information.

For my specific application, I will be using the Moodle/ejabberd
combination, but as someone asked, I figured I would try it out and see if
gadget worked. I can at least report I was able to configure it

As noone is working on gadget right now, and I don't have any information on
how it works or where one would go to get that information, or how to use it
to improve collaboration, I can't do much with it.

Dave

> cheers,

>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
>  martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect