[Server-devel] XS Moodle design issues

Dan McGuire sabier at visi.com
Sat Jan 31 22:43:47 EST 2009

As I said in my previous email, I think you might be trying to do too
much engineering upfront. Here's a couple of thoughts for you to consider.

1.  Topics-style course format, geared for a year-long:

As a classroom teacher I would rather you not arrange the format for
me.  I find the topics format as it comes in the box from Moodle is just
fine. I, for instance, have my course organized by subject areas -
Reading and Writing, Science, Math, Physical Education, and Community
Issues (where I have parent sign up forms and general announcements.)

2. Change of year admin tools.

I don't see the need to put that much energy into moving whole classes
at a time. Again, the enrollment options out of the box will work just
fine. And, I think there's probably a lot of variations in the
composition of actual classes from year to year.  Here in Minneapolis we
call it the 'mobility' problem-poor families move a lot here.  It might
not be the same every where but I think it's still common enough to make
it so spending a lot of time on the tool as you're describing.

3. "We want a course creation process that is streamlined -- skip the
course settings page, and enrolment steps. Create the course with
presets, load a content template, auto-enrol the creator as teacher, and
put the user directly in the course page."

That's probably a good idea to start, but once they get into it, true
Moodlers will want to start getting creative and messing around with
things.  The beauty of Moodle is that I can get stuff from teachers
anywhere - I can take things that I see high school teachers in Scotland
doing and adapt it to my students.  Browsing the Moodle forums is one of
the most exciting things that I've ever encountered as a teacher.  I
wouldn't want that option taken away or diminished in any way.  I think
we need to open up the exchange of teaching ideas even more and make it
possible for individual teachers or schools to tailor Moodle to fit
their needs..

Also, regarding admin issues/users:  I've found the need for even more
types of roles, I have non-editing teachers, tutors, parents, editing
teachers, visitors that have passed a screening, etc. I think this is an
area where there will likely be even more development necessary
depending particular circumstances.

4.  What You Paint Is What You Get editor

This is one I'd really like.

FYI, I've just recently started using the workshop module and think it
has real possibilities.  It was designed for much older groups, but it
really is a great way to teach writing, I think.

I appreciate your efforts for us all,
Thanks,
Dan