[Server-devel] Notes about XS on XO...

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 13 22:00:51 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 21:43 -0500, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 9:31 PM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
> > Just a question, would we be needing a do-it-yourself explanation of the
> > steps involved, or are we just going to distribute an image that you
> > could write to a partition? Both?
>
> I'd say both ;-)

After the xs-install/update, .bash_history now always blank, that was a
great place to get notes from.... Any quick hints?

> > I have a XO using a 4gig SD card, started life out as
> > xo-1-olpc-stream-8.2.1-devel_ext3.img, with the XS repos added, yum
> > installing xs-pkgs, xs-config now... I've ran into some funny dep issues
> > but brute forced my way round them. I have some notes around, will try
> > to add them to the wiki at some point.
These are really bugs, I'll file BZ/Trac's on the issues that I found if
they're not resolved by a later release.

> I've excluded the kernel from
> > being updated at this point, I'll try a newer kernel at some point
> > later, just waiting for yum to finish and try rebooting this puppy.
> > Woohoo reboot time... rats network is broken...
>
> Cool. Another bit of good news is that I tackled JKatz and he
> confessed to having (probably) backported the fixes onto the F9
> kernel. So maybe a plain XS install to SD may work too...

On the list of things to try, along with adding the bits needed to
mkusbinstall for /boot/olpc.fth to boot from the usbdisk.

More later,

Jerry