[Server-devel] interest in new proxy

Vivek Pai vivek at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Jan 13 21:32:58 EST 2009

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Vivek Pai <vivek at cs.princeton.edu> wrote:
>
>> A long time ago, I visited OLPC to discuss HTTP proxy
>> needs for the schools, and our research group at Princeton
>> had a project that looked like it might be a good fit.
>>

> Hi Vivek,
>
> is it your original hashcache or related to it? There was discussion a
> while ago of using hashcache - jg was very excited about it, and I was
> too. We're pretty disappointed with Squid's performance and memory
> usage.

The proxy part is HashCache. The WAN accelerator doesn't have a name at
the moment, but it's probably a few months away from beta.

>> Is there interest in something like this for the XS server?
>>

> Yes yes yes. It'd be fantastic. What is the licensing status?

I think we'd reached agreement with Eben on something, but
we're just waiting at this point. Assuming someone on your end
tells him that you're interested in forging ahead, I guess he'll
write up the necessary license. It was basically Affero GPL + patent
license for the GPL version.

-Vivek