[Server-devel] interest in new proxy

Vivek Pai vivek at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Jan 13 21:29:36 EST 2009

Hi Reuben,

The system is called HashCache, and it's a relatively recent development.
We'd been corresponding with Jim Gettys and trying to get the license
worked out with Eben Moglen.

Jim knows the details, but it's basically a proxy built on a new storage
engine that's optimized to reduce memory consumption. In its most
minimal form, it uses no RAM for the object index, which is what
allows us to do the 1TB disk / 256MB RAM configuration. Its
performance in this configuration is comparable to Squid, since
HashCache has a custom user-level filesystem.

It doesn't compete on features with Squid, but it should be possible
to integrate the necessary set of features.

-Vivek