[Server-devel] XS-rsync: automatic .contents creation

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Tue Feb 24 19:17:11 EST 2009

2009/2/24 Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 2:48 AM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
>> 2009/2/23 Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>:
>>> Can you flesh out the use cases a bit more?
>>
>> As Ties pointed out, it's related to .toc contents files (which
>> XS-rsync calls .contents) and not content bundles.
>
> Colour me confused. What's the use case where the XS builds a special
> local image?

There's no use case there. That's not what I'm suggesting.

I'm describing the process of transferring the image (built on another
system) to the XS for serving to the XOs. The XS-rsync readme states
that 4 files are required:
       1  xyz_jffs2-tree.tar.bz2     # tar.bz2 build img
       2 xyz_jffs2-tree.tar.bz2.md5 # md5 of the tarbz2
       3  xyz_jffs2.contents         # json-encoded manifest
       4 xyz_jffs2.name             # file containing the name

This mail is about (3).

> Hmmmm. The way you're describing it makes me think that .contents
> still belongs in the image-preparation stage. Maybe fold the relevant
> bits of code into your script?

It's possible, but I already explained why it's a bit painful. I see
where you're coming from though, just thought I would ask!

Daniel