[Server-devel] XS-rsync: automatic .contents creation

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 21:21:04 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 4:12 AM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> If the XS shipped olpc-contents
> (http://xs-dev.laptop.org/~cscott/repos/joyride/olpc-contents-2.5-1.i386.rpm)
> then it would be easy to make XS-rsync be able to generate the
> .contents file automatically from the .tar.bz2 tree file.

Interesting idea. Not sure I understand it fully. It sounds to me like
it'd be useful to wrap up content created or aggregated "online" on
the XS (using Moodle, for example) -- content that you want to bundle
up for download to the XOs.

I'm not sure that it'd help with the backups/restore workflow. AFAIK,
a content bundle will appear as one entry in your journal.... if it's
able to unpack into separate entries in your Journal, then you're hit
gold with your thinking.

> Is it possible to include that RPM, and would such patches be considered?

Anything that is useful in deployments I'm happy to include :-) - just
need to flesh out how it's useful to more/most rather than a bespoke
trick.

Can you flesh out the use cases a bit more?

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com