[Server-devel] Collaboration problem again 0.5.1

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 07:00:48 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 12:53 AM, Morgan Collett
<morgan.collett at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 13:44, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In other words: @all@ is a valid workaround in all the scenarios I can
>> think of.
>
> @all@ should have the same effect in the UI as @online@, but with a
> potential difference in the performance: @all@ is the conventional
> shared roster and would send you presence for everyone registered on
> the server, whereas @online@ is a bit more magic and only sends you
> presence for people who are actually on line at the time. Perhaps some
> of its magic smoke escaped.
>
> @online@ is more useful for servers where only a (small) percentage of
> the registered users are on line at a time.

I'm 100% in agreement.

My simple (simplistic?) analysis of the situation for a deployment
right now is that the payload of a roster fetch is still not that
large, and rosters are seldom fetched (this last bit comes learned
from looking at ejabberd verbose logs till my eyes bleed).

So yes, using @all@ isn't best in network efficiency but I suspect
it's negligible for small deployments. And large deployments have many
other probs... which I'm working on :-)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com