[Server-devel] mkusbinstall fails

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 21:04:38 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 2:42 PM, David Leeming
<leeming at pipolfastaem.gov.sb> wrote:
> Tried with another USB stick - exactly the same result.

Thanks for writing up carefully  the steps you followed... I think I
spotted the problem...

> SET UP BOOTABLE USB STICK
>
> - insert 2GB USB drive previously formatted with Windows (FAT)
> - start Partition editor, delete the existing partition

Here is where the problem starts... the USB stick is perfectly good
with a FAT partition. Repartitioning and formatting it in ext2 is
likely to be the source of the problem.

Anyone else reading this: do not repartition the USB stick :-)

David: you need to re-partition the usb stick in a funny format.

 - use fdisk to delete the partition, create a new partition of type
"e" (WIN95 16bit LBA), make the partition bootable

 - use mkfs.vfat with the -F 16 option

Once you have done that, you can check that the disk is in good shape
and usable trying it on a Windows machine for example.

Hope that helps!

BTW, where did you see instructions to replace the USB disk partition
format? I want to make sure we don't have misleading wiki pages...

cheers,

,
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com