[Server-devel] Network addressing for activation-over-IBSS

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Thu Feb 5 07:11:18 EST 2009

2009/2/4 Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>:
> Great -- I am not too conversant on the initrd code, probably makes
> sense to repost it to devel@ where cscott and mstone lurk...

Yes, but I would prefer to sort out the networking first.

> The XS routing routes 172.18.16.xx the first active antenna (if
> present). DHCP never assigns an IP address on that range.

Ah. Doesn't work without an AA though.

> According to Wad's original schema, where the plan was to scale out
> aggressively, the 172.18.1.x range was for the main wired NIC of each
> XS. My plan is to scale up before we scale out (farming out highly
> integrated services without causing havoc and bottlenecks is
> non-trivial), but I am keeping the same routing model as scaling out
> is still a valid strategy.
>
> Still, the potential number of XSs in a network is very low.
>
> So a safe thing would be to pick a random IP address in
> 172.18.1.128/25 when using a/b/g accesspoints, and 172.18.16.xx when
> trying mesh channels.

Can I persuade you to add a new range for the IBSS-STA XOs that are
requesting leases over IPv4? 126 addresses is not many when XOs will
be assigning them randomly, we will have kids arriving at school at
the same time, and many laptops expiring on the same day.

Thanks,
Daniel