[Server-devel] Network addressing for activation-over-IBSS

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Wed Feb 4 17:07:46 EST 2009

Hi,

I have modified the XO activation initramfs to attempt to locate a
lease server on an XS on each open infrastructure network that can be
found (early patch attached).

The XS does not bind the server to the IPv6 address correctly (perhaps
we can work on that)., so it currently runs over IPv4

But assuming we want a working IPv4 implementation... we need to
figure out a way of getting the XOs to address themselves in a way
compatible with the school server. The current IPv4 code picks an
address (randomly) at 172.18.16.xx and this does not work with the XS.
I also am quite confused by the XS network interface setting.

We need to choose an appropriate address range which the XOs can
suitably randomly assign themselves in, not covered by DHCP leases,
and make sure that an appropriate interface is "listening" (at least
acting as a gateway) on the XS. At the moment I am using 172.18.1.x
which seems to be free of dhcp assignments.

Thoughts?
Daniel