[Server-devel] Fresh install of XS 0.6 -- "Moodle is disabled at the moment."

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 05:22:17 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 1:42 AM, Ben T <benjtran at gmail.com> wrote:
> Attempting to start pgsql-xs resulted in it asking me to run initdb for
> postgresql to initialize the cluster (was this supposed to be done
> automatically as part of the installation?).  I did that and it said OK.

Yes, it does it automatically. But there is a bit of confusion - the
'postgresql' service will initdb in a different location to the
'pgsql-xs' service.

So don't initdb postgresql. Instead, do

   service pgsql-xs initdb

> It says device out of space
> but I'm sure I have plenty of space.

Clearly, that's what we have to address.

> - attempting to execute 'service postgresql initdb' again --> "Data
> directory is not empty!"
> [root at schoolserver ~]# cd /library/pgsql-xs/data-8.3
> [root at schoolserver data-8.3]# ll
> total 2
> drwx------ 2 postgres postgres 1024 2009-11-22 13:43 pg_log
> -rw------- 1 postgres postgres    0 2009-11-22 13:49 pgstartup-8.3.log

That is not mornal. You should see quite a few more files&dirs in there.

> copying template1 to postgres ... FATAL:  could not write to file
> "base/11511/2689": No space left on device
> STATEMENT:  CREATE DATABASE postgres;
> child process exited with exit code 1
> initdb: removing contents of data directory "/library/pgsql-xs/data-8.3"

that is completely bizarre. How about

   rm -fr /library/pgsql-xs/*
   service pgsql-xs initdb
   service pgsql-xs start