[Server-devel] [IAEP] Get Satisfaction

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 19:44:55 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Caroline
Meeks<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> One of their features is the ability to do single sign to gather more
> information about the user.  F Here is my idea of how it might work.
> Once Sugar is registered with an XS we could create a single sign on that
> would let us know what name and XS-url a Sugar user is from (similar to how
> our single sign on with Moodle works).  This should basically tell us what
> deployment we are getting feedback from without the user doing anything.  It
> would be a win for Get Satisfaction if we did this because it would be a
> great case study for them to write up.  Would this be enough of a win for us
> to be worth doing?  Any volunteers to do it on our end?

I would encourage & support people working on XS-based HTTP proxies
that can perhaps do SSO on behalf of the local user against specific
preconfigured remote servers.

Having an HTTP proxy that talks with our idmgr service is good for
other reasons too -- we can say "only allow internet access to
registered users", and further that control into Moodle, so we can use
Moodle's sophisticated and fine-grained rights system to allow/ban
internet access.

But I would keep meticulously away from setting things up for any
specific service. It is up to every school to decide what to do.

The protections FERPA & related laws provide are valuable and
important. The goal of preserving privacy is one of our goals.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com