[Server-devel] Fwd: Hoping for assistance with XS 0.5 configuration difficulties (ejabberd)

Daniel Bennett dantana at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 13:17:41 EDT 2009

I just sent this to Reuben.  I have done some digging through the log file
and haven't seen anything useful.  Do I perhaps need to set the ejabberd.cfg
file to 5:debug instead of 4:Verbose?  i remember seeing something about
that inside it.
Unfortunately, we we haven't set up a GUI, web browser, or emailing
capabilities of any kind on the server itself so emailing the log file will
be a roadblock for me.  I haven't worked in linux for about 5 years now
until trying to tackle this project.  I'm relearning how to do basic things
like ls, pipe to less, and use vi for simple text edits.  Setting that stuff
up is likely to take a loooong time.  Is there anything specific I can do
offline to find what you're hoping for inside.  In writing you this email I
just recalled the existence of grep.  is there something I could grep for in
the log file and give you some feedback on it?

On  the subject of following instructions, there have been two of us working
on the server, sometimes one at a time so I can't guarantee that we've
followed them to a T, but we both believe that we have.  We've gone so far
as to rerun the initial scripts, recheck hostname, reset the acl lines in
ejabberd.cfg repeatedly, connect to the jabber server with 2 different
jabber clients (which has been successful, we've chatted back and forth
using our server.  We just can't access the admin inteface at
http://192.168.0.162:5280/admin, we keep getting 401 unauthorized), read
every wiki page that sounded remotely relevant, etc.

And we've been following hunches at each step so we have pulled some of the
instructions out of related pages from the wiki.

I've been careful to comment out all of the original lines in the
ejabberd.cfg file and mark all of my changes for easy resetting of each
segment to it's original state.  Which I've since done.  So theoretically,
the file should be in it's original state except for the {acl, admin {...
line that we added to give admin privs to our sample user.

But of course, I could have made missed something.  However, the server is
still working fine when we connect via 3rd party clients (pidgin pis), so I
don't think I've done anything critical...

Let me know if I should grep anything out of the log file for you.

Thanks for the help!
-Dan