[Server-devel] ds-backup.py backup_url server check

Carol Farlow Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Thu Apr 23 17:52:50 EDT 2009

When the client references "schoolserver", it depends on client
configuration where and if it finds it.  Places that can affect this lookup
process are the configuration designating what is your DNS server, the
configuration of your resolver (e.g. does it supply a default domain if the
requested name is not fully qualified.  So if your local domain is
configured to be "mydom.com", schoolserver.mydom.com might be the actual
name that is looked up.  Finally if you have an /etc/hosts file you can
supply a local name for an arbitrary IP address, so you could have a line
there that gave "192.0.2.1 schoolserver"

If your "schoolserver" is not named schoolserver in your same domain, just
add an /etc/host entry.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Dave Bauer <dave at solutiongrove.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have updated my XS to the lastest code and I have the ds-backup server
> code on there.
> I have ds-backup-client on my client (slightly modified SoaS).
>
> Now I am investigating how this works and I am reviewing ds-backup.py to
> see why my backups are not working.
>
> I am looking around line 114 and I see this
>
>    backup_url = 'http://schoolserver/backup/1'
>
> I see that the serial number from the client is appended to this.
>
> I don't see anything on the XS that responds on this URL. Should this
> respond or do I have the wrong version of this script or I am confused?
> If something should respond on this URL, is it part of Moodle, ds-backup
> server or something else?
>
> Thanks!
> Dave
>
> --
> Dave Bauer
> dave at solutiongrove.com
> http://www.solutiongrove.com

"I don't consider him a particularly reliable source of information."

-- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, at a House Foreign Affairs Committee
meeting, on former Vice President Dick Cheney.