[Server-devel] Problems with EjabberD setup and how to test if it's working

Yifan yifan.sun at students.olin.edu
Sat Apr 18 11:41:17 EDT 2009

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your response! The wiki page I'm referring to is
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ejabberd_Configuration and
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Installing_ejabberd.

I am using XS. What command should I use to display the current version?
(I'm not too familiar with linux hacking, and I have several stored images,
so I'm not entirely sure which one I used.)

Sorry about the vague error report. I'm not sure what the exact error is,
since we used the web interface, and there were no error messages; the only
feedback we got was that nothing was working the way we had expected. My
mental model (and please correct me if it's wrong) is that after configuring
the server and setting up an admin account, any laptop that's connected to
that server can be registered using Terminal, typing "sugar-control-panel -s
jabber <server name>". Then, in the web client, we should then see each
laptop being registered.

However, what we found was that if the laptop was properly connected, and no
other users (except the admin user) were registered, that laptop would
register properly, but any subsequent laptop couldn't register.

We then used the web interface to remove the user (I don't remember the
exact sequence of steps ('m not on site) but I believe we selected the user,
then chose the "remove user" option, or something similar). After that, that
particular laptop couldn't be re-added using the "sugar-control-panel -s
jabber <server name>" approach (the laptop didn't show up in the web
interface). Because we couldn't qutie figure out what the name it was
assiging to each laptop, we didn't try using the web interface to add a
user.  That user, also, did not appear on any blocked list--as far as the
web interface was concerned, the laptop had disappeared.

In some cases, if we tried to connect to the jabber server without being
connected properly to the internet, even after we had connected to the
internet, that laptop couldn't be registered.

Currently, we have ssh connection to the server, but not the laptops; any
suggestions on what steps we should take next?

Thanks so much for your help. I know this isn't a very technical bug report,
but again, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yifan