[Server-devel] Problems with EjabberD setup and how to test if it's working

Yifan yifan.sun at students.olin.edu
Fri Apr 17 20:01:19 EDT 2009

Hi,

I'm currently trying to set up the EJabberD with the server at Cambridge
Friends School. I've gone through the instructions on the wiki page in
configuring it, and am now trying to register some computers. Some
interesting problems are coming up, and I was wondering if any of you had
this problem / know of a cool way to solve it.

1) When one laptop was registered, it would show up under "users" and shown
as "online" with some very long hex string; subsequently, no laptop could be
registered. (I used "sugar-control-panel -s jabber <server name>", then
restarted each time)

2) To test this out a bit more, we would add a user, then delete it, then
try to add it again. We realized that once a user was removed, it couldn't
be added again even when there weren't any other users. (this is all not
including the admin account)

3) a much more trivial problem, but when the laptop is registered, it would
be registered as a hex string that is very long and doesn't seem to pertain
to anything. What does this pertain to, and is there a way I can make it
actually the name of the laptop (eg "blake 1"), etc?

Also, I was wondering what sort of test can I run that would only work on
EjabberD and not on just the computers all being connected to the same
network. I'm not terribly familiar with Jabber, so everything I've figured
out is from the wiki page. In that note, are there any more generalized wiki
pages about EJabberD that don't particularly pertain to OLPC that might be
useful to look at?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated!

Yifan