[Server-devel] xs-activation-import deleting leases

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 08:51:54 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 12:30 AM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> xs-activation-import unconditionally deletes the lease files from the
> directory that it imports. This doesn't play nice with a system such
> as puppet, which we're using here:

Ouch. The XS tools in general are expecting other kinds of
interaction, and are unprepared for something like puppet "pushing
files into place".

The strategy I'm working towards is of atomic drop-box style
directories (write a tempfile, mv it to the dropbox). If puppet is in
charge of putting the file in its actual destination, then it's in
charge of triggering the "read new file / data" actions and that's
tool-specific, so you lose your loose coupling.

Can Puppet handle drop-boxes, and only drop new stuff in when there is new data?

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com