[Server-devel] Duplicate IP Address

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Mon Apr 6 12:57:51 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 6:16 AM, Dave Bauer <dave at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> I am having issues testing two soas1 virtual machines running on the same
> box.
> They got through NAT cable modem so they end up on the same ip address.
>
> The second VM can see the first in the neighborhood, but the first doesn't
> see the second one.
>
> I am wondering if this might have to do with the IP address sharing or where
> else I should look.
>
> Thanks

This sounds normal.

Cable modems should pick up a single public IP address via a dhcp like
process.
The router/Nat box should then assign private IP addresses to systems
connected to
it.    In the context of NAT traffic to a port on the public side is translated
to  a port and private IP address.  Commonly traffic out is triggers a
translated
transparent matching inbound link although firewall rules can impose additional
restrictions.

Virtual machines add additional confusion... with their virtualized
network links.
Remember that addresses in the 10.xxx.yyy.zzz and 192.168.xxx.yyy are not
routed the way public nets are.

--
        T o m   M i t c h e l l
        mitch-at-niftyegg-dot-com