[Server-devel] Apache proxy CRCsync & mozilla gsoc project?

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Sun Apr 5 19:35:18 EDT 2009

Hi Rusty,

 >    I didn't implement this because I wanted the server to be able to cache
 > the reply easily (ie. new story goes up on /., everyone sends old hash,
 > reply gets served from accelerator).

I don't think that cacheing these will work as well as you might
expect. In your example of slashdot, it gives a different reply every
time, even for the same user. Try two wget's of slashdot.org and run a
diff between the results.

It would work for static pages, but with static pages you don't really
need delta-encoding, as you'll get a good hit rate with the normal
cache tag mechanisms that browsers and proxies already use.

Cheers, Tridge