[Server-devel] Translating Moodle - a sustainable approach...?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 17:32:00 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 8:21 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
> One of the issues I see here is the relative difficulty in pushing
> translator upstream. I won't be a problem for active languages like
> Spanish, Turkish, etc, but for languages like Pashto, etc, which have
> very few people translating, are even lesser number of people with
> proper (if any) internet access, it is going to be a problem. However,
> as you say, it might be actually _worth_ the effort :-).

Well, we will need fairly good coverage of moodle in the translation.
If we end up translating 70% of moodle strings to Pashto, it would
make sense to share them upstream and try to get a Moodle Pashto thing
going (with translators from the wider moodle community) so that the
translation team is self-sustaining on the Moodle side.

> On the other hand, Pootle actually handles a large number of project
> which are non-gettext based - in fact, we are the only large userbase
> of Pootle who use gettext and PO files.

Ah, ok. I didn't know that. We have to figure out a workflow that
makes sense, I'll be happy to add glue wherever needed.

> Do you think that makes sense ?

Yes, we can export stuff from moodle, but I want to figure out a
workflow. What translation team have we got that would be good to
discuss workflows and involve a bit as early adopters?

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com