[Server-devel] Squid tuning recommendations for OLPC SchoolServer tuning...

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 05:05:35 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 7:48 PM, Chris Martin <chris at martin.name> wrote:
> It just strikes me that if you already have Apache running - that adding
> mod_proxy would have a limited overhead as you already have most of the
> Apache code running for the HTTP server adding mod_proxy would not be a
> significant extra overhead,  You can configure it to have no memory cache.

As we have mod_php and mod_python, the memory mgmt won't work in our
favour if we try to use those same processes for mod_cache.

> The downside is that I don't think that you can configure it to auto
> preload/refresh the disk cache after-hours when the link is under utilised.
> I think that you can do this with squid

Can you? How?

> However I think that there are other tools that would do this more
> efficiently in conjunction with mod_proxy.
>
> Over the weekend I will fire up a VM with 256Meg and see how well it goes

that'd be fantastic. If apache w mod_cache and mod_cache_disk plays
well with linux's disk buffers, we might have our winner. :-)

OTOH, I have no idea how apache2 fares as an http 1.0 /1.1 _forward_
proxy in terms of correctness...

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com