[Server-devel] Squid tuning recommendations for OLPC SchoolServer tuning...

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 18:13:52 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 11:25 PM, Chris Martin <chris at martin.name> wrote:
> Has any one considered using the proxy module in Apache HTTP server.
> You are already taking the hit of running a web server, - the proxy module
> just might give you enough features.
>
> Certainly you get Caching and Access Control

I have considered it, and it is my second option if I cannot tame
Squid :-) - apache2 is running, though with a few memory-heavy modules
so to run a proxy I have to start a second daemon anyway (to keep the
memory footprint under control).

Only ever played with apache as a reverse proxy many years ago -- I
have no idea how it fares as a general forward proxy, and whether it
is comparable with squid under the kind of constraints I have.

I do understand apache's memory model a whole lot better, but I am
willing to learn Squid and tweak a bit if it's better.

Within the constraints I have - do you have info/experience indicating
apache would fare better or same?

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com