[Server-devel] Squid tuning recommendations for OLPC School Server tuning...

Mark Nottingham mnot at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Sep 23 01:14:14 EDT 2008

On 23/09/2008, at 2:40 PM, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot at yahoo-
> inc.com> wrote:
>> Overall, what do you want to use Squid for here; caching, access
>> control..?
>
> Caching and plugins such as squidgard (does that qualify as access
> control?)
>
>> If you want caching, realise that you're not going to see much
>> benefit from
>> such a resource-limited box, and indeed it may be more of a
>> bottleneck than
>> is worthwhile.
>
> well, we are very constrained RAM wise, but we have a reasonable hard
> drive quota *and* a horrible internet connection. Picture 200 kids
> behind a dsl line, 50 kids behind a satellite link or 3G modem.

Hmm, way back when I administered a Squid with about 200 investment
bankers behind an ISDN line... sounds familiar :)

The main problem is going to be the RAM; having it for cache removes a
lot of the pressure on your disk, and most ISP caches with this kind
of workload get IO bound. The per-connection overhead isn't trivial,
either, when you've got a slow link, as users will tend to be
impatient and retry, surf with multiple windows, etc.

BTW, completely out of left field, have you seen this?
   http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~nataraja/papers/nsdr2008.pdf

There is a group of folks talking about adding SCTP support to squid
(there are already patches for apache and firefox); with that, you
could use SCTP over the lossy/low bandwidth hops to improve
performance. I think in your case it would require a server on the
other end of the link -- e.g., maybe a farm of HTTP/SCTP -> HTTP/TCP
gateways -- but it may be worth considering...

Cheers,

Mark Nottingham       mnot at yahoo-inc.com