[Server-devel] Translating Moodle - a sustainable approach...?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 22:17:42 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> So my thinking at the moment is as follows...

Moodle translation resources:

   Main forum - use "login as guest" to see it

   Moodle's own "pootle-like" translator

   Tech notes on translation

   Moodle translators and users in non other languages

If anyone wants to take on the "fix PHP/gettext and then get Moodle
and Mediawiki to switch" crusade... be my guest. Might take a couple
years which is not quite doable in my release cycle... :-) The
technical issues are as follows:

 - putenv() has been quite buggy in PHP for years - and gettext wants
you to change the LC_* env vars. Things may have calmed down with
this, but needs serious investigation before a large project makes a

 - gettext does its own caching, and AFAICT if you're editing the
PO/MO files "live" you have to restart apache to see the new version.

 - At least in the PHP4.x series, gettext calls were _very_ slow
compared with the moodle get_string() calls - which are sped up nicely
by PHP accelerators like APC.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com