[Server-devel] Backup And Restore Feature Documentation

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 15:37:43 EDT 2008

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the info. I updated the Blueprint:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Blueprints:Datastore_Simple_Backup_and_Restore

Just a few minor changes but let me know if you have any concerns with
the new text.

Also, I added a note here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Blueprints:Datastore_Simple_Backup_and_Restore#Daily_cleanup

to tell people to make sure they have enough space for each XO. I'm not
sure how you estimate the maximum size of the Journal or Datastore but
its a start.

Do you want to say anything about what happens if your available XS
quota is smaller than the XOs datastore? If it deletes the whole backup
  I could put that in there. That makes it a little more real and will
encourage people to take the note seriously.

One suggestion for XS 0.5. I suggest we have an option to turn feature
off at the XS. I'm sure people can hack in and do that manually but they
may miss it. My understanding is that if you don't have space on your XS
then backups will be useless and its better to turn it off.

I'm calling the doc on this one done. One more item off the 8.2 release
check list :-)

Thanks,

Greg S