[Server-devel] PostgreSQL mgmt on Fedora: pg_cluster-like tools?

Devrim GÜNDÜZ devrim at CommandPrompt.com
Fri Sep 12 01:11:56 EDT 2008

> Has anyone looked at whether their solution would drop into Fedora?

As you'll remember, you and I talked about this issue at PostgreSQL
Anniversary Summit. I have worked on a prototype then:

https://projects.commandprompt.com/public/pgcore/repo/rpm/redhat/8.1/postgresql/F-9/postgresql-8.1-multiple.spec

This is WIP solution, but what we talked then was:

* Debian's solution was not that much good. It is built on lots of perl
scripts, etc, and maintenance costs are high.

* Use the approach that is in the spec file above

* Create a "postgresql-default-$VERSION package which will make that
version default.

* Use sysconfig/pgsql file as the main source around multiple postmaster
configuration.

I will now ask Command Prompt whether they can let me work on this issue
for 8.4. This time I started 8.4 very much earlier than we all did
before, so I believe, if I have enough time, I can finish this before
8.4 beta and we can apply it to Fedora 11 and above..

Regards,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE