[Server-devel] recover from broken yum transaction

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 01:42:22 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> When this happens you should run:
> yum-complete-transaction

Interesting toy! I think you mentioned it at Fudcon Boston and I
hadn't been able to recall the right name.

Thinking of using it in the use case of the school server (very
unreliable power, no sysadmins available, 100% unattended updates) -

 - Is it safe to run at boot time via an init script?
 - Is there an easy way to check for pending transactions?
 - Does it have useful exit codes indicating whether it's done anything?

> I'd recommend package-cleanup --cleandupes

Another good tool to add to the arsenal.

> then run:
> rpm -Va and look for problems in files in /usr/lib /lib/ /boot, and all
> of the bin dirs.

Is that different from `package-cleanup --problems` ?

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com